Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Day 13 Tuesday, Sept 16 We Made It!!!!

Well, after 2,825.2 miles, we have arrived!! We were able to take Route 66 for several miles after SanBernardino, but then had to join the I-10 west. We timed our departure from the Wigwam Motel so that we could have a nice leisurely breakfast and avoid the morning rush hour. Even with that, the traffic was crazy. I have to give Les a lot of credit for handling the "hog" and keeping us safe. I am convinced there were higher powers watching over us, but Les' bike riding experience helped immensely.


By the time we saw our first glimpse of the Pacific, we were both dripping wet with sweat. Not only was the LA temperature unusually hot, but the stress of the traffic added to it. No kidding, the insides of our helmets were soaked. We were sure happy to see the ocean at last!


From what I've read, the exact location of the end of Route 66 is not at Santa Monica Pier, but it is close, and the Pier makes for a more dramatic end anyway.


We found the "Route 66 End" sign. Following Route 66 by car is not easy, but doing it on a motorcycle feels like quite an accomplishment! We chatted with a man from the Route 66 Alliance and got a certificate of accomplishment....with a donation of course..tee hee.


We left the pier and went down the beach to the ocean. That cool breeze felt fabulous!


Before long, we were off again, this time to our son Dan's home in Torrence. We got there in time to walk to our grandsons' school and meet them at the end of their day. What a joy to see them run to us with open arms!!! So happy to be here at last!!

So ends this blog. I may go back and add a few details that come back to me but I will be very happy to be FLYING home!


 

5 comments:

  1. What a chapter in your lives. I have thoroughly enjoyed the "ride" through photos and I thank you for taking the time each day to update us :) So glad you were safe and have so many memories and stories to tell by the campfire :) Hopefully I can be sitting by one of those fires to hear the details :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was watching ELLEN yesterday and she mentioned it was 109 degrees in LA. I was hoping you were some place cool by then. Glad you made it safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! So happy you are safe and happy that you enjoyed the journey. Tell Les I said thank you for getting you there safely and I thank God for His grace in keeping both of you well. Can't wait to see you. Give my love to Dan and Rosy and please give Justin a special hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should rename your blog. Call it Les and Sandy's Excellent Route 66 Adventure.

    ReplyDelete